How to Share Files or Folders Using
S3 in Amazon S3 stands for Simple Storage Service. It allows you to keep any amount of data in the cloud and access it from anywhere anytime, as long as you are connected to the Internet. Here we will describe different ways of S3 file sharing – be it photos from the last weekend trip, your favorite soundtracks or meeting minutes – directly from Amazon or with the help of Mac S3 client.
Read on to find out more
Method 1. Amazon S3 sharing files directly from Amazon
- Sign into your Amazon account, in Amazon Dashboard choose “S3” in “Storage and Content Delivery” section.
- Select items to share, click “Actions” -> “Make Public”. It might take a while for your files to become publicly available.
- Click “Actions” -> “Properties”, you should see a link to the Amazon S3 shared folder, send it to others to access it.
Method 2. Share files with Commander One, Amazon S3 file sharing app
- Open https://aws.amazon.com and log into Amazon S3. If you already have an account, select “I am a returning user” and click “Sign in using our secure server” once you enter your login credentials.
- Now you need to create and download Access Key:
- Go to your account settings – you’ll need to click the arrow icon next to your account name – and choose “Security Credentials”, click “Continue to Security Credentials”.
- Select “Create New Access Key” in the “Access Keys” section.
- Click “Download Key File”, it contains Access Key ID and secret access key, make sure to keep it safe.
- Copy S3 Access Key to Commander One, Amazon S3 Mac client:
- Download, install and launch this S3 client for Mac.
- Click “S3” button in the app’s window, fill in the required fields – Name, Access Key, Secret Key and click “Connect”.
Once you are connected, the bucket will be displayed in the app, bring up the context menu by right-clicking and choose “Copy Link”. Commander One can also serve as Amazon S3 manager, i.e. it allows you to directly transfer files from Amazon S3 to your Mac.
Version 1.7.4(2445) (21st Sep, 2017) Release notes
Category: System Utilities