The popular Firefox extension Ant Video Downloader can download videos from Vimeo, YouTube, and others. Installation is simple as well as the usage of the extension. It can detect the downloadable videos and suggest downloading options. Depending on the original quality of a video you can choose from low to high resolution. The extension keeps track of what you watch on YouTube so you can go back to it and download later.
However there are limitations to what Ant Video Downloader can do:
- It is an extension to Internet Explorer and Firefox browsers. There is no Ant Video Downloader for Chrome, Opera, or Safari.
- This add-on can download only one video at a time - the one that you are watching.
- Ant Videos Downloader allows you to choose the quality for saved videos, but that's pretty much it;
- It cannot resume the downloading process in case of Internet connection failure, so you'll need to start over.
There are some worthy video downloader alternatives for Mac that offer more features and may be more of use to you.
Top Mac alternatives to Ant Video Downloader
The first on our list is Airy downloader for Mac. This Ant Video Downloader alternative is more safe and functional. It is a simple looking app, however it hides a lot of great possibilities. For example Airy can download videos from YouTube, and also extract audio tracks from YouTube videos. This app can also download many videos simultaneously and supports downloading of complete playlists and channels at once. Being able to resume interrupted downloads is rather convenient. Airy is really easy to use:
- Download Airy and install. Free Airy allows 2 downloads and if you need more than that, you can activate full version.
- Paste the link to YouTube video, playlist or channel in Airy.
- Choose the file type to save video as. Or choose MP3 format if you only need to extract audio. If you are downloading many files at a time, Airy may need some time to process all of them.
- Click the Download button
By default, Airy saves all your files in Downloads folder and you can set any other location in Preferences.
Airy can be also integrated with your favorite web browser. This will help you catch the downloads even faster. Here is how to integrate:
- In Airy's main menu click "Integrate into Browser".
- Drag the link on your browser’s bookmarks bar.
- Now click this bookmark every time you are on YouTube and ready to start downloading videos.
Another straightforward alternative to Ant Video Downloader is YouTubNow. This service doesn’t require an extension or installing any software which can be attractive to many users. The service is free to use as many times as you want to save YouTube videos in up to 1080p resolution. To use this service:
- Go to the YouTubNow website.
- Copy and paste the YouTube URL of the video you want to save.
- Pick your file format and quality.
- Click the “Download” button.
Another possible alternative to Ant Video Downloader is a browser extension FastestTube.The nice thing to keep in mind that unlike Ant downloader FastestTube supports a lot of popular web browsers: Firefox, Chrome and Chromium based browsers, Safari, Opera). Here is how to use FastestTube (note that this is a general instruction, it may differ for different browsers):
- Install the extension.
- Open YouTube video.
- Find the Download button under the video player.
- Select the video format and quality and the downloading begins.
You can also try an online service - Online video converter. This service supports YouTube, Vimeo and other popular video websites. Online video converter is an easy to use Ant Video Downloader alternative:
- Paste the link of the video that you want to convert.
- Select a file format to save video as.
- Click "Start" to begin the conversion.
- Once the the conversion was successfully completed, you get the download link for the converted file.
Version 3.7.205 (17th Jan, 2019) Release notes