Top 10 Best Free Movie Viewers for Mac
We think (and we think you'll agree) that only the best video viewer for Mac should be installed on your computer. The best video viewer for Mac is the one that ensures clear image with vibrant colors and is friendly and easy to use. Start looking for top video viewers for Mac online and you'll get many search results, but how do you know they will work out for you? We did our best to select and overview the top 10 video viewers for Mac in this article.
Elmedia Player for Mac
Elmedia Player is a free best video viewer for Mac offering support of a great variety of video formats: AVI, FLV, MP4, SWF, MOV, DAT, etc. Elmedia has its native web browser built in the player that you can use to browse online videos without calling the regular web browser window. Open URL option will spare you from ads that are all over the place these days. Subtitles are easily customizable in Elmedia: set the preferred language, encoding, size, font color, etc. In case you found yourself with damaged video files, you should always try and play them in Elmedia, it is usually pretty good in playing even broken files. Elmedia Player PRO is an advanced version that offers multiple benefits:
- Download various videos from Internet, which includes YouTube, streaming videos, videos embedded through HTML5.
- Make precise screenshots during movie playback.
- Adjust sound with native control.
- Adjust playback settings to improve the video quality.
- Set the output devices for video and audio tracks.
- Save Projector EXE as SWF.
MPlayerX is not resource heavy and can play an impressive number of file types. MPlayerX was designed for Apple computers style and usability; it supports Apple Remote, offers full-screen mode, allows changing the size of subtitles and can resume the stopped videos. It works well and doesn't seem to require any additional codec packs, which makes it a number one choice for many as a video viewer for Mac.
- Supports most video or audio formats.
- Friendly and comprehensive, Mac-style interface.
- Great support for subtitles.
Cisdem VideoPlayer is a good competition for VLC and 5KPlayer. In many cases when other players fail to produce a smooth video, this player doesn't fail to offer you the clear image. Add intuitive interface to the picture and the support for an impressive variety of formats: MOV, WMV, AVI, MP4, M4V, FLV, MKV, RMVB, MPEG, as well as 5K and Full HD 1080P videos, and audio files like MP3, OGG, WMA, WAV, M4A, etc.
Cisdem VideoPlayer features:
- Supports more than 50 formats with no additional codecs needed.
- Supports 4K/5K/1080p HD videos without ads and bufferings.
- Allows to load subtitles automatically.
5KPlayer combines a free HD video player, music player, and AirPlay streamer and supports 4K, 5K, HD videos including MKV, MTS, AVCHD. Additionally it can download online videos.
Features of 5KPlayer:
- Watch amateur and commercial DVD. CSS-encrypted or region code enhanced DVD are supported as well.
- Watch and download Netflix 3D movies in 1080p, 720p in MKV, MP4, etc.
- Watch ultra HD videos on iMac, MacBook Pro, etc.
Kodi (previously XBMC) is an open-source player that may have been started as video viewer for Xbox consoles, but grew to be a cross-platform solution for viewing images, watching movies, and playing music files. This one of the best video viewers can play all common file types of today, both for audio (MP3, FLAC, etc.) and video files (MP4, AVI, MKV, etc.). Also supports physical media including Blu-ray and DVD.
The highlighted features for Kodi:
- One of the top video viewers for Mac, also supports Windows and Linux.
- Supports add-ons, such as custom-made skins, fonts, and sounds.
VLC Media Player
VLC Media Player is an open source cross-platform friendly viewer for Mac. Supports DVD, CD, VCD, and streaming protocols. VLC Player is free and doesn't need any third-party codecs.
VLC Media Player features:
- Profound support for Mac OS X, Windows, Linux, Android, iOS.
- Integrates with web channel streaming services.
- Blu-ray, DVD, CD, and VCD playback.
Plex is another great option with the same range of supported file types as previous video viewers for Mac on this list. The interface is neat and easy to navigate. This app strives to unite all devices and services on a single platform. Plex is a very convenient app for streaming your media library content to other devices with Plex installed.
Highlighted features of Plex app:
- Available for Mac OS, Windows, Linux.
- With Plex Companion, you can stream content from a phone to TV.
- Sync media from Plex Media Server to a supported cloud storage account.
DivX is a friendly and versatile movie viewer for Mac with some great features in tow. For example, there are streaming options for videos, photos, and music to DLNA-compatible home devices, as well as the basic set of hotkey combinations for navigation and fast playback actions. DivX delivers wonderful video and audio to its viewers. You can burn files to discs with DivX Player too.
DivX feature highlights:
- Smooth and clear playback of file types including AVI, DIVX, MKV, and MP4.
- Available for Mac OS and Windows.
- Supports high-quality online videos up to 4K resolution.
Macgo Free Mac Media Player
Macgo Free Media Player is a one of the great movie viewers for Mac too. It is 100% free and supports multiple video formats including AVI, FLV, MP4, WMA, MPEG. The playback is smooth and clear without sacrificing the video quality. This player can play the built-in subtitles, also providing support for external subtitles.
Macgo Free Media Player feature highlights:
- High-quality output for up to 1080p High Definition videos.
- Impressive original sound support (DTS 5.1, Dolby TrueHD Audio, DTS-HD Master Audio and Pass Through).
- Can play online videos from the app if you know the link.
QuickTime player is Apple's flagship video viewer that you'll find installed on your Mac computer. It is easy to navigate and supports a lot of file types too, however may be inferior to other players on the list in the number of directly supported formats. It can handle digital videos, pictures, sounds, panoramic images, etc.
QuickTime feature highlights:
- Advanced video compression technology for HD videos that need less bandwidth and storage.
- Support AIFF, MP3, WAV, DV-DIF, and MPEG program stream. Additional QuickTime Components add such formats as ASF, DivX Media Format, Matroska, FLV, Ogg, etc.
- Allows adjusting playback speed from 1/2x to 3x normal with a dedicated slider.
Thank you for reading our overview of the top video viewers for Mac. Try out the ones that sound most interesting for you and choose your best video viewer for Mac.
Elmedia Player for Mac
Version 6.8(1098) (25th Jul, 2017) Release notes