The upcoming version of Mac system software has a name macOS Sierra, and is versioned as Mac OS X 10.12. It is going to be available as a free download for all compatible Mac computers this coming fall.
So first things first, which Macs will be compatible with macOS Sierra? What hardware will run the new operating system and let you use all those features like Siri, Continuity Clipboard, etc.? No doubt that newer Macs will easily support the new system, but older machines are getting excluded, especially those made before 2009.
Here you have a comparison chart for the compatibility of Macs with El Capitan and with Sierra. Information is from official Apple website.
NOTE! To determine if your Mac is compatible with MacOS Sierra check the model make and model year:
1. Go to the Apple menu in the upper left corner of your screen > “About This Mac”.
2. Usually in the “Overview” tab you can see the current system software version and the computer model and year.
Then have a look at the macOS Sierra compatibility chart again.
The next important thing is the new features and advantages of Sierra. Here are some of the new features Sierra offers:
- Apple added the digital assistant Siri to macOS Sierra.
- Cloud integration offers the possibility to store old photos and docs online to save disk space.
- It tightens the integration with the Apple ecosystem, so you can share the clipboard with your iPhone or iPad or unlock a Mac by approaching it with your Apple Watch.
- Apple Pay comes to Safari. You’ll be able to place orders from your Mac and pay via the Apple Watch or touch ID on your phone.
- The new APFS system that promises better and faster storage features, as well as improved encryption algorithms.
The Beta version of macOS Sierra was tested by Eltima Software team to see what apps already support it and what work needs to be done to make all our product range perfectly compatible with Sierra.
Here are the apps that will work great with new OS once it is released
Elmedia Player – multi-format media player.
SyncMate – sync Mac & Android, Dropbox, Google, iOS, MTP and mounted devices.
Folx – simple yet powerful download manager and torrent client for Mac OS.
Airy – YTB video downloader for Mac with the possibility to extract MP3.
Flexihub – USB Network Gate for Mac lets to share USB devices over network.
Commander One – dual-pane file manager for Mac.
USB Network Gate – shares USB devices over Ethernet.
PhotoBulk – bulk image editor for Mac.
Uplet – bulk Instagram uploader for Mac.
CloudMounter – mounts Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDirve, Amazon S3, (S)FTP and WebDAV servers to Mac as local disks.