Commander One(Read 11738 times)
Commander One on: August 05, 2015, 03:50:14 PM
I've been playing with Commander One trial edition and it looks very nice.

I have a few questions / ideas:
- the app requested Accessibility Features on start, why does it need them?
- is it possible to configure Spacebar to select a file then go to the next line like FAR / MC does?
- is it possible to activate numeric keypad (PgUp, PgDn, Home, Ins to select etc) to work like in FAR? I see that gray "+" is already working.
- automatically CTRL-O-ing after executing the command would also be nice.

Re: Commander One Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 04:13:32 PM
Bug report: push SHIFT, select a few files by pressing down-down-down on keyboard. Without releasing SHIFT press up-up-up. Expected: no files selected. Actual result: two of them still selected.

Re: Commander One Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 12:56:24 PM
Hello!

Thank you for your interest in Commander One! Let me address your questions:

1. Commander One requires Accessibility permissions to be able to execute terminal commands (built-in command line), get access to user processes (built-in Process Viewer), get access to hidden files, etc. This option allows the program to run its system functionality.

2. The following requests have been forwarded to the corresponding department for consideration. First two are already planned for future upgrades of the software:
- is it possible to configure Spacebar to select a file then go to the next line like FAR / MC does?
- is it possible to activate numeric keypad (PgUp, PgDn, Home, Ins to select etc) to work like in FAR? I see that gray "+" is already working.
- automatically CTRL-O-ing after executing the command would also be nice.

3. The difficulty you've described with selection is a common behavior of file-managers of this type. Once selecting the file with Shift+arrow, Commander One selects the highlighted file and highlights the next one in the pressed direction. So, if you switch direction to opposite, without releasing the Shift key, the program will select the currently highlighted file, and deselect the previously selected. It is logic of keyboard selection, not bug. To avoid selecting the unneeded files, release the Shift key, then highlight the selected file, and press the shift+arrow again, to remove the selection from the certain object.

Re: Commander One Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 11:57:53 PM
Alex, thanks for the response!

Regarding file selection: I understand why it works this way, but most apps manage selection differently.
Try doing the same in Finder or X-Code or Apple Mail or basically any other app.

Inverting a selection is very rare case and users won't expect this behavior imho. Undo is needed very often as it's easy to accidentally select more files than needed when holding down an arrow.

Re: Commander One Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 05:19:09 PM
Does commander One run at startup? If not is there a way to do this?

Re: Commander One Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 08:05:41 AM
I have also been happy to discover Commander One, after being a long-time user of Norton Commander, Windows Commander, and Total Commander on PCs, and I am finding Commander One to be the closest thing I've seen so far on Mac.

Fantastic job you're doing so far - please keep it up !

I have a couple of suggestions:

(1) Please allow a smaller minimum vertical resizing to allow it to be smaller vertically; once increased, it will not resize down to less than about 25 rows (at 12-point font size).  Even the initial height upon initial install is smaller than the 'minimum' allowable by dragging the edge after it has been expanded.

(2) The column 'kind' doesn't seem very useful, since there are icons (but filetype) next to the filenames by default; however, 'permissions' or 'owner' might be helpful, so this column might be more useful with that kind of information.  (Ultimately, it would be nice to be able to select which columns we want to see, and perhaps what format - for example, date as 'YYYY/MM/DD 24HH:MM' - but again, that's long-term and lower priority).

(3) In the 'size' column, if the size is selected to be 'bytes' (instead of 'dynamic'), could you remove the word 'bytes' from the value displayed in the column ?  This is redundant, and makes the displayed value much too long.  I'm not sure if 'bytes' is necessary even for the 'dynamic' setting.  Perhaps 'B' is better (following the pattern of 'KB', 'MB', 'GB', 'TB').

(4) I noticed that holding 'Alt' and typing the first few characters of the filename will position to the file, *BUT* if there is a slight pause while typing - even while continuously holding the 'Alt' key - the search string seems to be reset.  Is there any way to adjust this ?  Perhaps a longer timeout ?

(5) I see that the file viewer is configurable (a couple of choices), but not the editor.  It would be nice to be able to choose the editor too (For example, I use 'vi' for editing textfiles 99% of the time).

(6) (Lower-priority but still important): It would nice to speed up the directory-scan (when you traverse into a new directory, and Commander One needs to read information about the files in order to display it).

(7) (Long-term goals): My favorite features in Total Commander were: (a) 'Compare by content' (visual-diff between selected files in left and right panes), and (b) 'Synchronize Dirs', which would determine which files to copy to the other side based on various criteria.

-Dave

Re: Commander One Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 11:33:20 AM

(5) I see that the file viewer is configurable (a couple of choices), but not the editor.  It would be nice to be able to choose the editor too (For example, I use 'vi' for editing textfiles 99% of the time).

+1 . I want that Sublime is my default editor.

It would also be great to customize the "Disk List" with my favourites.

Re: Commander One Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 08:24:55 PM
Awesome product!!  Previously tried muCommander and PathFinder and think this one is better and have huge potential!

Took me a while to find the "star" button to add my favorite folder.

+1 on needing a hotkey to bringing that list up (or just adding the favorite list to the drive list).

+2 on the ability to configure custom editor.

Is there a way to customize the columns (specifically I would like make the "name" column to display the full name including the extension, and get rid of the ext column)?

Commander One Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 02:28:18 PM
Hi all,
Am testing Commander One. So far, I think it is a great tool. Keep up the good work.

2 questions/suggestions:

1) How to switch between tabs of one panel using a keyboard command? CTRL-TAB, OPTION-TAB, ... combos didnt work. Didnt find it in the keyboard prefs.

2) After running a file search, and "Feed to active panel", several file actions are no longer available on these files, such as Delete. I recommend allowing all file actions as in a normal panel viewing files in a standard folder.

Cheers. Mac

Re: Commander One Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 10:15:53 PM
Great app! This seems to be the best replacement of TC the only app i missed after switching to Mac.
A few suggestions / questions:

1. Now, when i delete a file the selection jumps to the top of the folder, which is very inconvenient when i delete files one by one. Is it possible to make it select the next file or in other words, stay where it is at, so the next file gets selected once the currently selected file is deleted and gone.
2. System wide keyboard shortcuts do not seem to work. For example i have CTRL + CMD + P to open currently selected folder in VOX but this does not work in C1.

Re: Commander One Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 09:42:34 PM
Hey guys, I've been trying out Commander One for a couple of days now, and I've noticed a few things:
- Via the Preferences, the "Link Account" button on the Dropbox tab doesn't do anything
- The app does not remember the size of the 2 panes when restarting: instead of 50/50 it's opening with 25/75 size of the panels

I'm using the latest beta of El Capitan (10.11.1) in case it is relevant :)

Re: Commander One Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 03:21:57 PM
Hello guys!

Thank you for your feedback and please accept our apologies for the delay in replying. Let me address all your questions:

Does commander One run at startup? If not is there a way to do this?

You can manually configure the software to launch on startup, by adding it into login items of your user. System Preferences --> Users & Groups --> unlock the settings --> choose your user --> Login Items --> "+" --> choose Commander One from the applications list and add.

Please allow a smaller minimum vertical resizing to allow it to be smaller vertically; once increased, it will not resize down to less than about 25 rows (at 12-point font size).  Even the initial height upon initial install is smaller than the 'minimum' allowable by dragging the edge after it has been expanded.

This request has been forwarded to our software developers for consideration.

The column 'kind' doesn't seem very useful, since there are icons (but filetype) next to the filenames by default; however, 'permissions' or 'owner' might be helpful, so this column might be more useful with that kind of information.  (Ultimately, it would be nice to be able to select which columns we want to see, and perhaps what format - for example, date as 'YYYY/MM/DD 24HH:MM' - but again, that's long-term and lower priority).

We consider adding new columns and allowing to disable already existing columns in the upcoming upgrades of Commander One. We have no ETA for the closest upgrade yet, but I can assure you that functionality of the software will be greatly extended.

Is there a way to customize the columns (specifically I would like make the "name" column to display the full name including the extension, and get rid of the ext column)?

If you navigate to Commander One Preferences --> View --> "Show full file name", "Name" column will display file extension as well.

In the 'size' column, if the size is selected to be 'bytes' (instead of 'dynamic'), could you remove the word 'bytes' from the value displayed in the column ?  This is redundant, and makes the displayed value much too long.  I'm not sure if 'bytes' is necessary even for the 'dynamic' setting.  Perhaps 'B' is better (following the pattern of 'KB', 'MB', 'GB', 'TB').

Thank you for pointing our attention to this matter, we will try optimizing "size" column to be more user-friendly.

) I noticed that holding 'Alt' and typing the first few characters of the filename will position to the file, *BUT* if there is a slight pause while typing - even while continuously holding the 'Alt' key - the search string seems to be reset.  Is there any way to adjust this ?  Perhaps a longer timeout ?

Yes, this is the common behavior of the file managers of this type. While typing the file name, Commander One automatically locates the file in the list. But if you pause the typing for a while, it starts the new search from the beginning. As for the extension of the resetting period, I have reported your request to the software developers.

I see that the file viewer is configurable (a couple of choices), but not the editor.  It would be nice to be able to choose the editor too (For example, I use 'vi' for editing textfiles 99% of the time).

+1 . I want that Sublime is my default editor.

+2 on the ability to configure custom editor.

This feature is requested a lot and already planned for the future upgrades of Commander One. Unfortunately, we can't specify the estimated terms yet, so please stay tuned.

(Lower-priority but still important): It would nice to speed up the directory-scan (when you traverse into a new directory, and Commander One needs to read information about the files in order to display it).

I can assure you that searching and scanning protocols are continuously being optimized and each new release of the upcoming versions will be faster, more stable and include new options. Commander One is a long-term project and we have lots of features planned for the future.

(Long-term goals): My favorite features in Total Commander were: (a) 'Compare by content' (visual-diff between selected files in left and right panes), and (b) 'Synchronize Dirs', which would determine which files to copy to the other side based on various criteria.

Both this features have been already requested by other clients and being considered by our developers. I will add your requests to the list as well.

Took me a while to find the "star" button to add my favorite folder.
+1 on needing a hotkey to bringing that list up (or just adding the favorite list to the drive list).

This feature has been already requested several times, I will rise the priority with your request.

How to switch between tabs of one panel using a keyboard command? CTRL-TAB, OPTION-TAB, ... combos didnt work. Didnt find it in the keyboard prefs.

Currently, there is no shortcut for switching tabs within one panel, only panels themselves (def. Tab). But, this option is planned for future upgrades of the file manager.

Hey guys, I've been trying out Commander One for a couple of days now, and I've noticed a few things:
- Via the Preferences, the "Link Account" button on the Dropbox tab doesn't do anything
- The app does not remember the size of the 2 panes when restarting: instead of 50/50 it's opening with 25/75 size of the panels

I'm using the latest beta of El Capitan (10.11.1) in case it is relevant

I am sorry, but the release version of Commander One is not compatible with 10.11 yet. The support of the newest OS will be added in the next upgrade.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 03:23:40 PM by Alex »

Re: Commander One Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 09:26:04 AM
I realize that for many people this app's appeal is the dual window view, but for me it's not this but other features. Is it possible to disable it?

Re: Commander One Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 11:29:30 AM
@bruno321, the main feature of Commander One is dual-panel view, which it inherited from other file managers of this type. There is no option to disable the second panel, but you can reduce its size, by dragging the separator to either side. 

Re: Commander One Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 12:02:46 PM
Commander One is the best NC/MC kinda filemanager I've encountered on the Mac so far.  8)

I was wondering: Would or could it be possible to filter the contents somehow?
By that I mean the possibility to only show files matching certain criterias.
(So I could show only *.txt and sort by date, so easily pick out those 14 files of a certain kind changed within a certain date span.)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 05:33:23 PM by flips »
flips 8)

Re: Commander One - Lock Tabs? Reply #15 on: October 05, 2015, 03:16:30 PM
In Total Commander (Win), there's a way to lock tabs, as well as to lock tabs but allow for directory changes. Is there a way to do these things in Commander One?

Re: Commander One Reply #16 on: October 06, 2015, 11:19:07 AM
Commander One is the best NC/MC kinda filemanager I've encountered on the Mac so far.  8)

I was wondering: Would or could it be possible to filter the contents somehow?
By that I mean the possibility to only show files matching certain criterias.
(So I could show only *.txt and sort by date, so easily pick out those 14 files of a certain kind changed within a certain date span.)

Thank you for your feedback! I am sorry, but there is no way to show only specific files in main file manager window. In order to select certain files by date and type, just do the following:

1. Sort files by date in chronological or reverse order by clicking on the "date" column.
2. Sort them by file type, by clicking on "ext" column.
3. This way all the files in the folder will be sorted by file type, but each individual file type will be sorted by date. So, you may select the the certain files within one date in a row.

In Total Commander (Win), there's a way to lock tabs, as well as to lock tabs but allow for directory changes. Is there a way to do these things in Commander One?

Currently Commander One is not capable of locking tabs, but we are planning to extend tabs functionality in the upcoming upgrades of the software. Please, stay tuned!

Re: Commander One Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 06:24:03 PM
What do you think about adding a "Find/Search" function to the built-in viewer?  I find myself opening up text files for quick viewing using F3, but there is no way to search within the file.

Re: Commander One Reply #18 on: October 13, 2015, 02:12:48 PM

I'm using the latest beta of El Capitan (10.11.1) in case it is relevant :)

Same behaviour here about panels size. It's 25/75 after start. Version Version 1.0 (1344) - Commander One PRO.

Re: Commander One Reply #19 on: October 14, 2015, 08:05:47 PM
I've been testing your application and there are some options that I would like to add:

- To decompress a file using another compressor (keka) or to open with ... (application list)

- To decompress files they can be left in the background to perform other tasks

- To have an option to check compressed files

All these actions make the Total Commander PC is wonderful.

I hope to see in Commander One. Thanks and sorry my english.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5