Is the USB Network Gate client software portable?(Read 4907 times)
Is the USB Network Gate client software portable? on: February 20, 2015, 07:37:15 PM
Hi, there.

It seems that the installation of the USB Network Gate is not portable -- i.e. I cannot install it on a USB stick, and use that installation on a different computer.

The problem I am facing is this:

I can install the USB Network Gate software on the server without problem, as I have administrative privilege there.  However, I cannot install the software on a client machine, as I lack the admin privilege there.

I was wondering that if engineers can make the software portable, so that the installation is entirely on a USB stick, and no ties ever are made to the host machine into which the USB stick is plugged when the installation is made.   Therefore, I can plug the USB stick to a client computer to use the installed software. 

I am sure this feature is not hard to implemented, it is just a matter that whether engineering has the will to implement.  I believe this feature can enlarge potential custom bases, because I believe many face the same constraints I have experienced (i.e. no admin privilege over client machine).

Thanks a lot,

USBISCOOL

Re: Is the USB Network Gate client software portable? Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 10:33:52 AM
USB Network Gate needs to install the drivers, which cannot be done without administrative rights.

Re: Is the USB Network Gate client software portable? Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 09:13:30 PM
Assuming the "driver" means the drivers for various USB devices, what if the client computer already has the needed drivers installed?

In that case, can the installer of the client software be implemented to detect whether the client computer has already equipped with drivers for the USB devices that are intended to support by the USB Network Gate and thus forgo the necessity of installing those drivers and thus forgo the need of the admin privileged?   

Even in the case that some of the USB devices' driver are detected as being absent from the client computer, can the installer of the client software be implemented to just skip installing those needed drivers? Thus the installer makes the client software only support those USB devices whose drivers are present on the client computer prior to the installation. This also helps to forgo the need of admin privilege over the client computer.

In my case, the client computer is already equipped with drivers for most of commonly used USB devices (such as mouse, keyboard, printer, webcam, etc), meaning that installing the USB Network Gate does not really need the admin privilege over the client computer.

Thanks!

Re: Is the USB Network Gate client software portable? Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 09:50:21 AM
No, I meant USB Network Gate's own drivers, which are an essential part of this product that make redirection of USB devices possible.

Re: Is the USB Network Gate client software portable? Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 03:45:40 AM
I guess that "settles" it.  Amen.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5