SEC 4.1: Your system is low on virtual memory(Read 21417 times)
SEC 4.1: Your system is low on virtual memory on: March 18, 2008, 09:28:05 AM
We started using Serial To Ethernet Connector V4.1 Build 4.1.5.207 last week coming from V3.2 we run more than 1,5 years ago. We run this software using 4-16+ ports with an foreign serial communication program.

Yesterday our machine reports "Your system is low on virtual memory" and swap file increased to 1.9 GB! Reason was that virtual memory size of sec_service occupied 1,8GB of memory.

Setup:
SEC is configured for all ports as
- "Share serial port for incoming connections (Server)"
- COM10-COM13 as virtual serial ports are use with TCP port 8000-8003
- We have enabled "Start listening for incoming connections only when local virtual port is open"
- Max. number of connnections is 1
- Use raw transmission  with read/write setup to "Only first"

A further analyze shows the following:

Our serial communication software closes and reopen the COM port every 15 sec to prevent 'hanging' communication lines if there is no device logged on our communication. This can not be changed (note: it's a foreign SW).
Now I detected that for each open/close sec_service don't release 8KB of their privat virtual memory. This grows up the virtual memory until max swap file size is reached and stop the machine.

Reproduce it using HyperTerminal simply on one port setup as shown above: Notice the private virtual memory (PVM) of sec_service. Now Open the virtual COM port and close it. The PVM now is 8KB increased. This can be repeated. It also matches our observations having SEC V4.1 runining a week with 4 ports: 8 days x 24h x 60 min x 4 times close/reopen * 4 ports = 161 280 events each 8KB = 1,3GB memory.

Thanks in advance.

Re: SEC 4.1: Your system is low on virtual memory Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 09:47:59 AM
Thank you very much for the detailed information you provided.

We are currently investigating the problem you reported. I'll answer you immediately as we find the solution you seek.

Re: SEC 4.1: Your system is low on virtual memory Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 06:00:10 PM
Please be informed, that we released new build of Serial to Ethernet Connector. It was silent build which is available already.

To download the new build,please go to:

http://www.eltima.com/download/serial-over-ethernet/

We will be eagerly waiting the test results from you.

Re: SEC 4.1: Your system is low on virtual memory Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 06:07:46 PM
Thanks. New version installed, I will reply after a test period of a few days...

Re: SEC 4.1: Your system is low on virtual memory Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 08:30:56 AM
Tina,

I would like to confirm the solution works for us. The extensive memory occupation has stopped with this new version of SEC. Thanks a lot for your support.

Re: SEC 4.1: Your system is low on virtual memory Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 08:33:44 AM
Hello!

I experience similar problem using SEC 4.1.5.211 demo with following config:

Both machines are running WinXP Pro SP2, both are P4 with 1 GB of RAM, no proxy used;
Server config:
PortSettings - Real:COM1:9600,E,7,1:1
ProtocolSettings - TELNET:0:1:1:1000:1:1:1
SignLines - 0:0:0:1:1:1

Client config:
PortSettings - Virtual:COM12
ProtocolSettings - TELNET:0:5000:1:1000:1:1:1
SignLines - 0:0:0:1:1:1

I use very specific software shipped with a device, and COM port parameters cannot be changed. It is expected that software is up 24 hours per day.

sec_service.exe crashes periodically (the longest uptime was about 1.5 hour) on client machine, I suppose this happens because of memory leak - service allocates almost all free memory before it crashes.

Re: SEC 4.1: Your system is low on virtual memory Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 09:57:00 AM
I suggest using "Process Explorer" from http://www.sysinternals.com instead MS Task Manager to have an overview about the different occupied memory of an application.

Re: SEC 4.1: Your system is low on virtual memory Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 11:44:34 AM
Thank you for detailed information you provided. We are currently investigating the problem you reported. I kindly ask you to send Serial to Ethernet Connector Activity Log to mailto:support@eltima.com  Please, find sec_log.txt in the SEC folder.

Re: SEC 4.1: Your system is low on virtual memory Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 08:10:08 AM
I've found a temporary solution to prevent memory leak which is from 64 to 78 kB per second with my settings. But, of course, the script restarting the service every two hours is not the right way. The evaluation period is out, and my customer doesn't want to buy SEC until the memory leak is fixed. Thanks for future support.

Re: SEC 4.1: Your system is low on virtual memory Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 04:45:34 PM
We released new build of Serial to Ethernet Connector. To download the new build, please follow the link:

http://www.eltima.com/download/serial-over-ethernet/

We will be eagerly waiting the test results from you.

Re: SEC 4.1: Your system is low on virtual memory Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 04:35:31 PM
From my side v.4.1.5.249 isn't stable.

Running this version (purposely) many days the result is that the service crashed very often (min. each 2. day) with

"Faulting application sec_service.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000."

where the configuration is as posted initially within this thread configured 16 ports listening but only 4 ports are used by e.g. 20-100 connections a day.

The sec_log.txt contains nothing of interest. A workaround for us is that I configured the service now to restart autom. two times and if it will fail the third time the system reboots.

What can I provide except the sec_log.txt?

Re: SEC 4.1: Your system is low on virtual memory Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 09:04:27 AM
We are currently investigating the problem you described. We will contact you if we need more information on the case. Otherwise, we will fix the issue in the forthcoming build of Serial to Ethernet Connector.

Re: SEC 4.1: Your system is low on virtual memory Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 09:39:10 AM
Is there any progress regarding the service crashes?

Our production machine, where we configured the workaround (complete server reboot after 3 consecutive crashes), reboots several time a week - this is no mid-term option. Do you need any further information from our side?

Re: SEC 4.1: Your system is low on virtual memory Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 02:51:09 PM
I will send you the setup file of Serial to Ethernet Connector via email.

Re: SEC 4.1: Your system is low on virtual memory Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 09:29:33 AM
Hi I am using vcom3.6.2 which came along with a serial to ethernet convertor ATC-1000. I am seeing contious increase in its number of handles once i start communicating with the convertor. Do we have fix for this

Re: SEC 4.1: Your system is low on virtual memory Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 11:42:30 AM
Vcom might be based on Eltima drivers, but it's not developed by Eltima. Please contact the immediate developer of this software to see if they might have a newer version where this issue is fixed.

Re: SEC 4.1: Your system is low on virtual memory Reply #16 on: December 06, 2015, 04:44:25 AM
The machine seems pretty old. How much RAM you computer has? It works well on my new bought laptop.
http://www.androidphonesoft.com

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5