Lock-up issue on development PC(Read 25277 times)
Lock-up issue on development PC on: July 23, 2009, 05:28:09 AM
I have an XP machine that I have used for years to develop Visual Studio 2003 .NET applications using Eltima VSPAX.  I've successfully used it for the many versions of VSPAX 4.x through 6.x.   I've never had any trouble compiling or running my applications.   A possibly important point is that I've never deployed my applications on this PC, as that would cause the VSP driver, etc. to be registered and since the full VSPAX OEM was already installed I didn't want or need to do that.

Very recently I started using a Vista box for my development and decided to test my newer application's deployment on my old XP box (the one I had previously been doing development on).  The application appeared to deploy fine, but when it attempts to either create a virtual serial port or send data over one (I haven't determined this yet), the entire application locks up - and stays that way until I end the process.

I then tried some of my older versions of my application (that had always worked on this machine) and they exhibit the same problem.  I tried all of the samples from the VSPAX OEM 6.2 and they also lock-up.  I tried uninstalling then reinstalling the VSPAX 6.2 and it doesn't help.  The sample applications appear to create the port(s) just fine, but when I click on the 'send file' button the whole application locks.

I don't know what to do other than format the xP machine (I'd rather not). It appears that something is corrupt with the VSPAX drivers or DLLs.  I don't get any errors when running vsbsetup.exe or registering the control from the command line.

Everything runs fine on my other pCs (all vista).

Thanks,

Re: Lock-up issue on development PC Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 01:31:42 PM
After further investigation (and sleep), I'm not sure this is really a VSPAX problem at all.  When I debug the C# application using VS2003, it is actually freezing after I click the "Send File" button on the ShowDialog() for open file.  So it cannot create a new window for some reason. 

Re: Lock-up issue on development PC Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 02:54:05 PM
Hello,

We are ready to help you. I kindly ask you to check whether the problem occurs if you do not put our activeX on the form.

Thank you.

Re: Lock-up issue on development PC Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 03:21:06 PM
I took the C# example and removed the two controls from the form and then removed all of the pertinent code from the methods.  When I ran it the open file dialog came up after clicking Send File.  Strange.  Why would the presence of the VSPAX control prevent an open file dialog from popping up?

Re: Lock-up issue on development PC Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 08:34:04 PM
I've tried my application on another XP machine and it is failing there too.  Same results.  I'm starting to wonder that something has happened in a recent XP update to cause this, because I can no longer run applications with the VSPAX that used to run on the same XP boxes.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Lock-up issue on development PC Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 11:00:40 PM
Can someone at Eltima please verify that VSPAX 6.2.0.142 works (i.e. any of the sample apps) with XP Pro 32-bit SP3, with all of the latest MS updates?   I'm starting to fear that some of MS's attempts to plug security issues related to ActiveX Kill Bits is preventing these from working.  According to MS documentation, these patches are being applied only to XP and not Vista or above, which fits what I'm seeing here.  I've also read that these patches could cause applictions using activex controls to stop working.  This is an extremely urgent problem for me now.

Thanks,

Re: Lock-up issue on development PC Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 08:58:06 AM
We will test the latest build of Virtual Serial Port ActiveX Control under Windows XP Pro 32-bit SP3 (with latest MS updates). I'll inform you the test results as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience.

Re: Lock-up issue on development PC Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 02:19:01 PM
I took another PC, formatted it and installed XP Pro and gradually did all of the updates in a fairly chronological order until I had all of the "critical" updates except I still had IE6.  With this configuration everything was running fine.

Then I upgraded to IE7 and the problem was immediately there.  I haven't tried to modify settings in IE7 yet ....

Re: Lock-up issue on development PC Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 03:05:10 PM
The only way I can get the problem to go away is to uninstall IE7.  Once I do that and it reverts back to IE6, the problem is corrected.

To be clear, here is the test which you can do there too: With the latest OEM of VSPAX installed, I simply go to the C# sample, run it, then click on the "Send File" button immediately (I don't even create a port or anything).   It simply hangs as soon as I click the button.

This is not a problem in Vista.

Re: Lock-up issue on development PC Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 03:32:29 PM
Ok, here is a very interesting data point:

As I've stated before, on my test XP machine, with IE7 installed, if I install the latest VSPAX v6.2.0.142, the sample fails as well as my own application.

However, if I uninstall v6.2.0.142 and install v6.0.0.103, the sample works and my application works (and IE7 is still installed)!!

So, it looks like the latest version of VSPAX isn't compatible with IE7 on XP.

Re: Lock-up issue on development PC Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 03:41:30 PM
As an immediate workaround, I think I'm going to have to modify my deployment to install v6.0.0.103 for XP and v6.2.0.142 for Vista/2008.  Would you have any better suggestions?  Could you give me detailed release notes showing the differences between these releases?

Re: Lock-up issue on development PC Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 09:36:42 AM
Please, send us the order ID (reference number) for the product you ordered to mailto:support@eltima.com

We will send you the new build of Virtual Serial Port ActiveX ontrol for tests.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Lock-up issue on development PC Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 01:51:58 AM
Has this ever been resolved? I am having the same lockup issue with VAX 6.2. I also determined that if IE7 or IE8 are installed then using SaveFileDialog.ShowDialog() will hang my application. However the lockup does not happen with IE6.

-Ray Gralak

Re: Lock-up issue on development PC Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 11:27:50 AM
Dear Ray,

I'm glad to inform you that this problem has already been fixed in the new version of Virtual Serial Port ActiveX.

You can download demo version for tests here: http://www.eltima.com/download/vspax_demo.exe

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5