Hang on start, on copy, on - well, all the time(Read 8671 times)
Hang on start, on copy, on - well, all the time on: February 26, 2010, 11:06:38 AM
I just installed and registered the latest version of SyncMate on 10.6.2 and did an initial folder copy to another Mac.  When that finished, the sending version of SyncMate hung - a number of restarts of the app and forcequits and it continues to hang.

Rebooted several times and it hangs on start.  Uninstalled and reinstalled, do a folder copy and then it hangs as above.

WTF???  Not very happy, money wasted unless there is s simple solution

Re: Hang on start, on copy, on - well, all the time Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 03:52:52 PM
I have sent the new build of SyncMate to you by e-mail which is supposed to fix the issue.

Re: Hang on start, on copy, on - well, all the time Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 05:45:34 AM
Thanks - it is running now but won't complete for several more hours because......

I am syncing about 1Tb of data between Macs, but I don't really want to sync, I want the local Mac to always override the remote Mac, but using specific rules:
1 if a file is on local but not remote, copy local to remote
2 if file is on local and remote and local is newer, copy local to remote; if local is older than remote, do nothing
3 if file is on remote but not local, do nothing

In other words, I do not want to synchronise in the true sense, I want whatever is on the remote to stay there and new stuff on the local gets added - nothing is ever deleted from remote by SyncMate.

I have setup the folder copy with an arrow going local to remote only, and use local as the "master" for dispute resolution.

What this seems to do is cause a complete file copy of 1Tb of data every time sync is run - it doesn't seem to be checking if a remote file exists.

I can tell as all the files were copied manually to remote and now as SyncMate is running, I can see that it has wiped out all the folders and file contents at remote and is recreating them.....not what I want, need nor expected!

Cheers

Re: Hang on start, on copy, on - well, all the time Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 04:34:11 PM
I would like to note that your second statement
2 if file is on local and remote and local is newer, copy local to remote; if local is older than remote, do nothing
contradicts the idea of synchronization, which is to keep equal (same) files on both ends.

If a local file is older than remote and you sync files from local computer to remote computer, remote file differs from local file and thus SyncMate replaces remote file with the local to keep equal (same) files on both ends.

If you don't want to change newer copies of remote files and at the same time have local copies on the remote computer, you can create a separate folder on the remote computer for local computer files only and sync files from local computer to remote computer only to this separate folder.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 04:38:35 PM by Travis »

Re: Hang on start, on copy, on - well, all the time Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 10:17:14 AM
True, I can live with copying newer local to older remote.

but I don't want the remote folder wiped out and recreated every time, which is what seems to happen!

Re: Hang on start, on copy, on - well, all the time Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 02:22:48 PM
I don't want the remote folder wiped out and recreated every time, which is what seems to happen!

SyncMate overwrites only files that were changed.

If you're confident that SyncMate overwrites files that were not changed, please, perform two synchronizations in succession and provide us with SyncMate Activity log during synchronizations.

Re: Hang on start, on copy, on - well, all the time Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 02:31:23 PM
Hi

I think that I will just pass - the sync takes about 28 hours as there is almost 600Gb to sync - and doing it twice in a row (without changes) will tie things up for days!

Re: Hang on start, on copy, on - well, all the time Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 03:04:30 PM
We understand that it takes a lot of time to sync that much data. Can you perform at least one synchronization and provide us with SyncMate activity log?

We would also appreciate, if you answer the following:

1. Are you using Folders plugin in SyncMate to sync files? If not, please, let us know what plugin you use.

2. Is there a possibility that files in remote folder can changed somehow?

3. What types of files do you sync?

Any other additional information that will help us to understand and reproduce the issue would be appreciated.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5