Interop version numbers(Read 10153 times)
Interop version numbers on: March 05, 2010, 09:39:47 PM
I am a long time VSPAX OEM customer.  I'm currently using 6.2.0.144. 

I have always used Visual Studio 2003, which always generated the Interop.VSPortLib.DLL and AxInterop.VSPortLib.DLL files from VSPort.DLL.   I also deploy my application using Visual Studio's setup project (MSI generator).

Over the years I've upgraded from VSPAX 3.0 to 4.0 to 6.0 to 6.2.

I'm now using Visual Studio 2008, and in the same manner it generates the Interop assemblies.  Interestingly enough, these two DLLS (Interop.VSPortLib.DLL and AxInterop.VSPortLib.DLL) get generated with version 6.0.0.0, even though the VSPort.DLL has a version of 6.2.0.144.  (This is done automatically by Visual Studio).

My problem is that when I am performing an upgrade over a previous build of my application, the newly generated versions of the interop dlls are not deployed becaue the installer must think they are identical because the version is the same.  All of my own assemblies have version numbers that get incremented, so this isn't a problem for them.  Do you have any suggestionsfor how to get the version numbers of these interop assemblies to increment?

Thanks,

Re: Interop version numbers Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 02:47:40 AM
Just a follow-up that I've fixed this problem, and here is how in case it helps anyone else. 

I ended up generating the interop assemblies manually instead of using the ones generated by Visual Studio.  By doing this, I'm able to give the Interop assemblies the same version number as VSPort.dll.  This is very important when using the setup project from visual studio 2008 as the resulting MSI will not upgrade assemblies unless the version number is higher.  Here is the form of the commands I used:

"c:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin\TlbImp.exe" /asmversion:6.2.0.144 /keyfile:keyfile.snk VSPort.dll

"c:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin\AxImp.exe" VSPort.dll /rcw:VSPortLib.dll /keyfile:keyfile.snk

Be sure to remove the references to the Interop assemblies in your project and replace them with the generated files.  Whenever you upgrade your VSPAX control, you can simply run the above commands once with the new version number and replace the references again.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5