Picture-in-picture mode implies the use of at least 2 windows simultaneously on the desktop for the most comfortable combination of watching a video and focusing on other business. It allows you to watch videos in a small window attached to a corner of the screen while you are running the main screen.
Picture-in-picture (PiP) is supported only by certain apps on Mac. It is included in macOS High Sierra, but its range of work has limitations. Picture-in-picture mode is tailored for Safari and iTunes and can only work with such web resources as Apple, YouTube, and Vimeo. For now Safari is the only browser that supports Picture-in-picture functionality because the feature is not available for third-party web browsers.
Elmedia Player is one of the top picture-in-picture alternatives that Mac market can offer you today for the best user experience. It’s not bound to any of PiP limits like web browser, macOS, video type, format, etc.
Elmedia Player’s Picture-in-Picture Alternative
You can use Elmedia’s Float on Top feature to play videos stored on your computer as well as video files downloaded from the web, e.g. YouTube videos. Follow these simple steps to get Elmedia Player on your Mac and activate its Float on Top option:
- Click here to save the DMG file on your computer. Go to Downloads folder and find Elmedia Player there unless you use a different folder for your downloads. Click on the file. In the window that opens move the file to the Applications folder. Open the app.
- To start a video in Elmedia Player use one of these ways:
- • Drag and drop a video file to the application window or to its Dock icon.
- • Right-click the file and select "Open With" option in the drop-down window. Click on Elmedia Player in the list.
- • Open "File" in Elmedia Player’s main menu and click "Open".
Picture-in-Picture Mode for YouTube Videos in Elmedia Player
Elmedia Player enables you to watch YouTube videos online in PiP alternative mode. You have a great opportunity to enjoy your favorite clips while responding to emails or checking the forecast. To launch YouTube videos in picture-in-picture alternative mode do the following:
- Click menu File and find Open Online Video. By using this option you won't have to deal with ads that usually appear during video playback on YouTube.
- Right-click on the file. In the drop-down menu select Float on Top.
- Enjoy the video on top of other windows. You can move and resize it if required.
Elmedia Player gives you full control over your video files in Picture-in-Picture alternative mode. You can move the window to a particular corner, resize, etc. When you switch windows, the Elmedia video will always remain on top.
Version 7.3(1805) (12th May, 2019) Release notes