There are times when lots of macOS users experience issues accessing YouTube. YouTube server problems may vary from getting a multitude of different error messages to troubles signing in, non-functioning “Like”/“Dislike” buttons, freezing, crashing,video lagging, etc. At such moments we all wonder if YouTube is down for many users or it’s just us. Obviously, there wouldn’t be so many articles and posts if we were the only ones to deal with the problem.
The most common issues reported by users is that some YouTube videos play ok, while others don't. Let's take a look at the most discussed problems:
- Videos don’t play.
- Videos are loading really slowly, although your Internet connection is
- Videos start playing, but then stop after a while.
Before reviewing the best ways to solve YouTube server problems Mac users might find helpful, it is important to mention that if you have already dealt with similar issues more than once, then you should consider saving your favorite videos from YouTube to access them offline on your Mac. The perfect solution for downloading YouTube videos on Mac is Airy app.
With Airy you can:
- Save HD and Full HD videos.
- Download YouTube channels, playlists and multiple videos in batch.
- Convert YouTube videos to MP3 format.
YouTube server problems Mac users encounter and how to solve them
Would be great if there was one universal solution for all the issues you may experience with YouTube. However there is not and you may need to experiment before you find what works for you. As it turns out, the problems are nearly always caused either by Adobe Flash or your web browser and its configuration.
Learn how to correct these issues in this easy-to-follow tutorial:
- Reload a webpage in your Internet browser.
The first easy step to fix YouTube problems Mac users should take is refreshing a web page. This usually eliminates the problem. After reloading the webpage, a video should start playing flawlessly.
- Close and reopen your browser.
If the issue hasn’t been resolved by reloading the webpage, try to restart your web browser. Close and re-open it again to stop all the background processes and prevent them from causing the problem. Then, go to YouTube to see if the issue has been resolved.
- Try utilizing another web browser.
In many cases the issue may be caused by the web browser you are using. This applies in particular to outdated browsers. WhatBrowser.org is the easiest way to find information about your browser as well as some helpful links should you wish to try another one. Chrome and Firefox remain to be the most powerful web browsers that we would strongly advise you to use.
- Clear your web browser cookies and cache.
Regular clearing of the cache and cookies frees up some space, improves your Internet browser speed and performance. It is also a way you can be sure that the issue has nothing to do with the browser you’re using.
As a simple example, below you will find a detailed tutorial on how to clear the cache and cookies in Google Chrome browser for Mac:
- From the “Menu” button in the upper-right corner of the Chrome window, choose “More Tools” -> “Clear browsing data…“.
- Check “Cached images and files” as well as “Cookies and other site and plugin data”.
Select the period of time in the drop down menu and click “Clear Browsing Data” button.
Alternative ways to fix YouTube server issues Mac owners can follow
- Solution # 1. Try refreshing the web page in half an hour. If it receives a lot of traffic at once, this can result in a longer load time or/and slower response time. In most cases the issue goes away within thirty minutes.
- Solution # 2. We strongly recommend you to use the latest browser version available. So make sure your web browser is up to date.
- Solution # 3. Some schools, organizations, сomputer labs and even public libraries, restrict access to YouTube and other similar websites. If YouTube is blocked on your network, contact your network administrator to request an access or try countless solutions available on the Internet.
- Solution # 4. Try a different VPN. Sometimes, YouTube region filtering might be causing problems with video playback. In this case, you will get an error message saying “This video is not available in your country”. The best approach to accessing region-restricted videos is to use a VPN service. Change your local IP and reload the web page containing the video.
- Solution # 5. Choosing a lower video quality will make YouTube clips start more quickly. So, if your Internet connection isn’t really fast, you are very likely to get YouTube video buffering problem, especially when watching movies in high quality. To avoid this, simply adjust quality settings by going to Settings in the bottom-right corner of YouTube video player, and choosing either 240p or 360p definition.
- Solution # 6. Get your YouTube Quality Report to find out about main factors that are influencing your video performance, such as high traffic, Internet Service Provider issues, etc. It will also advise you on the best time to watch YouTube videos in your region.
Version 3.9.218 (14th Jul, 2019) Release notes