- With RS232 Analyzer you can connect to ports that are already open and start monitoring at once. Data is captured in real time and displayed conveniently. Data packets are easy to compare. You can record IOCTLs with all details and parameters.
- This COM port sniffer can monitor several ports at once so users can get the data on how apps interact with several serial devices within a session. The collected data can be viewed as table, line, dump or terminal, with sump view being able to show binary, ASCII data and port settings. Another great feature this serial port testing software offers is emulating data transmission to a serial device so you can see and analyze the reaction of a device to certain commands and data. You can send string, binary, octal, decimal, hexadecimal, or mixed data.
- The popular Modbus RTU and Modbus ASCII protocols are fully supported with all essential filters for the most effective analysis.
- Serial Port Analyzer is the most precise RS232 testing software thanks to the possibility to reproduce the monitoring session in order to review certain port behavior with the same parameters used in different conditions.
- The software comes with comprehensive help system and intuitive interface, which makes it fairly simple to use.
Serial Port Monitor customer's feedback
When trying to build a custom dashboard for a third party Li-Ion Battery Management System based on Texas Instruments BQ76940 and Atmel 8-bit line of microcontrollers, the integrated circuit manufacturer provided a "brief" description of the communication protocol. This description wasn't enough or complete, so analyzing the protocol transmitted while using the manufacturer provided Windows based dashboard was a must. Eltima's Serial Port Monitor with the capability of "sniffing" open serial ports on Windows platform was the best tool to do the job. Now I can see in realtime the protocol flow and understand the documentation, saving me a lot of trial and error while programming. I'm very happy of having found this piece of software.
Eduardo Roldan (Linux Expert, DIYer, EV Enthusiast)
2. Free Serial Protocol Analyzer by
Another software solution, without any hardware needed. Free Serial Port Monitor can intercept, display and analyze data exchange between a device and a serial application. Also a useful solution for software, device driver or serial hardware development that helps you test, debug, and optimize your product. It will dig into data flows and protocols and display everything in a comprehensive way.
With this program, you’ll be able to capture data and serial input/output control codes (IOCTLs) going through a COM port.
Free Serial Protocol Analyzer provides users working with COM ports with a full set of information — the app allows formatting data into different kinds of output. What’s more, it offers emulation of data sending on behalf of a monitored app. This option will clearly help you better check the reaction of a COM port to some particular data.
What is also convenient is that the software allows searching for a text in a Data View, Request View, and Console View. Plus, it’s possible to change the way the hex data displayed in Request View and Data View.
SerialMon is a free RS232 port analyzer for Windows that takes up little space. It can monitor serial port communication through a software or with a simple hardware solution. Supports ABB RP570, ABB SPA-bus and NMEA 0183 protocols.
4. Portmon for Windows
Portmon can monitor and display all serial port activity in a system. Also a good tool for tracking down possible issues with apps or devices configurations and analyzing serial port usage by the apps. This solution offers remote monitoring. You can monitor many remote computers at the same time. Multiple filters help you see the data conveniently and analyze it faster. This COM monitor can export captured data to a file like the previously reviewed solutions.
Thank you for reading our top serial monitor tools selection. Whatever you are working on, choose a reliable and best performing piece of software to achieve the most satisfying results.
To find out the most comprehensive solution for your needs, read the overview of Serial Port Monitor utilities.