Advanced Terminal Emulator for
What is HyperTerminal?
HyperTerminal is a program that allows you to emulate terminal operations when interacting with remote devices via a standard serial bus (RS-232), dial-up, or Telnet. This Windows serial port terminal is a handy tool for sending data to serial displays. The program can serve for connecting to bulletin boards (BBS) and online services as well. In addition, the utility is often used to configure various network equipment, such as routers, modems, switches, PBX, etc. through the console COM port.
When is it used?
HyperTerminal is an efficient solution which helps take control of external devices or systems like scientific COM port-instruments, robots, or radio communication stations. It allows exchanging data with another computer, networking equipment, phone systems, medical billing systems, medical and lab equipment, industrial equipment, building maintenance systems, and more.
With HyperTerminal, you get the ability to:
- transfer text and commands to a remote computer;
- receive information from a remote computer;
- transfer data saved to the clipboard by using the command 'Paste to host' in the View menu;
- exchange files with another machine;
- reset your modem or issue configuration and diagnostic commands.
Disadvantages of the program
- If your goal is to use HyperTerminal on Win 7 or 10, you should remember that these OS versions support only the private edition of the solution. The private edition is not free if used commercially, so for commercial purposes you'll have to buy the app.
- Although HyperTerminal can serve as a debug tool, the limited abilities of the app won’t let you achieve much success in controlling and debugging serial communications. Functional limitations of the app show that this solution is not the optimal one for working with remote COM interfaces.
If you feel the need for HyperTerminal replacement with a more powerful and versatile terminal solution, Serial Port Monitor will be the best choice. This dedicated software works as a terminal emulator for Windows 7, 10 (as well as other Windows versions) and offers full access to serial data transmitted via any COM port available in your system.