Create virtual COM port - software solution
Virtual serial ports are essential when legacy software programs need to connect to COM port devices that cannot be connected to the computer with the software due to a lack of physical serial ports. The device can also send serial data to the app over Internet or LAN over TCP/IP connection no matter how remote they are from each other.
How to create virtual serial port and use it
The majority of computers no longer have DB9 connectors that used to connect them directly to industrial or commercial hardware, however you can now create virtual COM port and use it to transmit data over network. Virtual COM port helps saving time and cutting the expenses by using unmodified legacy software.
So if you are wondering how to create virtual serial port and use it at any distance - use Virtual Serial Port Driver app to create virtual serial port pairs connected via virtual null modem cable. If you are looking for a solution to add COM port in Windows 10, our tutorial will help to resolve Windows 10 COM port issues with two methods.
To create virtual serial port pair follow the steps:
- Open the app's main window and go to “Manage ports” tab.
- Choose the ports from the list or enter their names manually. With the names you have unlimited options to name your ports up to your preferences. However keep an eye on the apps that may not support custom names for ports. For RDP sessions it is convenient to use the “Create ports only for this user session” option, so that next session will allow you the same names.
- Click “Add pair” button and you have the virtual COM ports ready for use.
- Repeat the above steps as many times as needed to create required number of ports.
The advantages of Virtual Serial Port by Eltima
- With a Virtual Serial Port Driver, you’ll be to add an unlimited number of virtual COM port pairs linked via a virtual null-modem cable. What’s more, the software gives the way to remove all of the created pairs in one click.
- Once created and configured virtual serial ports will be automatically re-created on system reboot prior to user login. Also, you won’t need to close ports if you need to change virtual pair settings or completely delete a pair.
- The app makes it possible to not only create virtual COM ports but give them any desired names including those already used by the existing physical ports. Users will be able to easily find a required virtual interface in "Ports" group of the Device Manager.
- The software drivers have successfully passed Microsoft Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL) tests and are digitally signed by Microsoft. This means you won’t get any warnings when creating virtual COM ports on Windows 10, Windows Server 16, Windows XP, etc.
- Virtual Serial Port Driver fully supports standard hardware signal lines including DTR/DSR/CTS/RTS/DCD/RI, etc. and software flow control (Xon/Xoff).
- Null modem emulation is another advantage you get with this utility. Virtual Serial Port Driver allows emulating virtual serial line connection and its break. Plus, the software offers various virtual null-modem schemes, which can be saved as a template.
Let's have a look at the most common usage cases of Virtual Serial Port Driver app.
Create virtual RS232 port and use it for points of sale
Virtual Serial Port Driver works flawlessly with COM port software and creates steady connection without the need of physical cables.
The software can be used for development, troubleshooting, and testing of your software efficiently emulating physical COM ports. The created ports can be added and removed on the fly.
Using Virtual Serial Port Driver in software development
Even if your software product will be working with hardware serial ports on clients' computers, it is not necessary for you to have the ports on all the machines you are performing tests on. Plus the equipment you are testing with, may be located at a remote side. With the help of Virtual Serial Port Driver you can create virtual serial port pairs with a null-modem cable connection. You get the possibility to simulate the data flow as if the hardware port sends it to your software program and vice versa. Such flexibility helps to perform tests even with the hardware you don't have at hand, thus providing you with the necessary resources to develop
a high-quality product.
Virtual Serial Port Driver
Version 9.0.567 (5th Aug, 2017) Release notes
Category: Serial Port Software