This handy software application can help you easily forward a USB gamepad to Windows 10 Pro remote desktop.
Here are the simple steps you need to follow in order to enable a USB for remote desktop functionality and forward a locally plugged PlayStation controller to the remote desktop environment:
- Download USB Network Gate and install it on a computer or thin-client PC where your gamepad is physically attached and a remote PC where you wish to connect it remotely over RDP.
- Share the gamepad on the computer to which it’s connected physically. To do this, start USB Network Gate, navigate to the “Local USB devices” tab, find the controller there and hit the “Share” button next to it.
- Once done, the gamepad will appear in the software interface on the remote computer. All you need to do now is find it in the “remote USB devices” tab and click “Connect”.
This is it! Just a few mouse clicks and you can enjoy remote desktop gaming on Windows 10, Windows XP or any other platform supporting the RDP protocol.
The key advantages of USB Network Gate:
- Thanks to an intuitive and streamlined GUI, the app is extremely simple to use;
- It’s reliable and secure. All remote connections are protected with advanced traffic encryption;
- Its drivers have passed the Microsoft Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL) tests and are digitally signed by Microsoft.
If you have ever wanted to share your PlayStation or Xbox controller over the network, USB Network Gate will do this for you.
What is the Remote Desktop Protocol?
The Remote Desktop Protocol is a network communications protocol which allows you to remotely connect to computers running Windows. The RDP option is available to any Windows user unless they have a Home version, where there is only an RDP client but not a host. An RDP connection is a convenient, effective and practical way to get access to a remote desktop for administrative purposes or daily work. The RDP support is included in Windows OS starting from NT 4.0 and XP versions, but not everyone knows how to use it.
Also, you can connect to the Microsoft Remote Desktop from computers running macOS, iPhones, iPads and Android devices.
If you have good knowledge of RDP settings, this method will be a reliable means for remote access. By connecting over RDP, you get the ability to not only see a remote desktop screen but also use the resources of a remote computer and connect your local drives or peripheral devices to it. For this to be done, the computer must have an external IP address (static or dynamic), or it should be possible to forward the port via a router with an external IP address.
An RDP client allows you to work with text and graphics applications, get data from your remote home PC, etc. To do this, you have to configure your router to forward the remote desktop port (3389 by default) to the correct computer on your network.
Some users consider RDP an unsafe way of remote access compared to dedicated programs, such as Radmin, TeamViewer, VNC, etc. Another myth is that RDP uses a lot of bandwidth. But the truth is that RDP is no less secure than any other solution for remote access, and in many common scenarios RDP’s bandwidth usage is lower than many of the screen scraping approaches can hope to achieve.
Gaming over remote desktop. A new RDP codec
The new high-performance h264 AVC444 codec, which replaced AVC420, provides better work with 3D models, drawing programs, and other graphically complex systems on Windows 10 over RDP. It requires neither RemoteFX technology no professional graphics accelerator like Quadro.
Thanks to this update, RDP gaming has reached a new level. The quality of video over the new RDP is higher; there are practically no lags while your remote display updates. In addition, the network load is significantly reduced! Also, the new codec is more suitable for unstable 3G connections. It quickly adapts to the speed of the channel and a user can receive an instant response even over a bad Internet channel.
The new codec is a great improvement that in addition to providing excellent quality and speed helps us in situations where the server is located far away, say, overseas.