In addition, the program offers a vast array of configurable options that can be especially useful for testing serial software and hardware.
For example, the utility lets two applications share data over virtual COM ports in such a manner that everything written by one program will immediately appear in the other one (connected to the other end of the virtual serial port pair).
How to create virtual COM ports
Here’s how you can easily create virtual COM ports on a Windows 10 PC using Virtual Serial Port Driver:
- Download the software and install it on your machine.
- Launch Virtual Serial Port Driver and go to the “Manage ports” tab. There you can either enter some custom port names manually or select ports from the drop-down menu.
- Now, click the “Add Pair” button and this is it! You have virtual COM ports that appear in Serial Ports
- Explorer and the Device Manager of your system.
- In order to delete the pair, select it in the Serial Ports Explorer, open the “Manage port” tab, and hit “Delete pair”.
Now, Let's see where Windows 10 COM Port Driver software will be a really big help. You can use the software for a variety of purposes, including:
- Testing and debugging of serial applications based on null-modem connections;
- Testing and debugging of virtual COM port emulators such as GPS, fax, and so on;
- Testing and debugging of firmware or drivers for devices that are physically located far from your developer machine;
- Testing and debugging of applications for intercepting caching/proxying data transferred over the network, etc.
Pro version of Virtual Serial Port Driver
For those of you who are looking for a simple way to create not only virtual COM port pairs but also their bundles with various custom parameters, the app developers offer the Virtual Serial Port Driver PRO version. This edition is tailored for professional use by serial port software and hardware developers and testers.
The utility comes with a range of advanced features like:
- Splitting and joining serial data streams.
You can easily split a single real RS232 port into multiple virtual COM ones that will fully emulate the physical port. Also, you’ll be able to join multiple real port data streams into virtual one which will be directed to the required app or device.
- Creating bundles of real and virtual COM ports.
Virtual Serial Port Driver Pro makes it possible to create complex port bundles where multiple virtual and real serial ports can exchange the incoming data with all the other ports added to the bundle at a time.
Anytime your application needs to connect to a serial port, the switcher option will link it to a COM port being currently free. For this, you just create a bundle of virtual COM ports that will emulate a single real one. By communicating with one of the virtual ports, your app will, in fact, talk every time to the same real interface.