Top 2 solutions to fix Windows 10 COM
It’s not rare that users of Windows 10 platform complain about the inability to find any COM ports listed in the Device Manager of their computers. In this article, I’ll tell you how to add virtual COM ports on Windows 10 using either a native method or the efficient third-party solution, Virtual Serial Port Driver. Read on to learn about the simplest and fastest way.
1. Windows 10 COM port issues.
2. Dedicated app: virtual COM port driver for Windows 10.
2.1 How to create virtual COM ports.
2.2 Video instructions
2.3 Clear advantages of the software app. PRO version.
3. Native method to mount virtual COM ports in Windows 10.
As a Windows 10 user, you may face a challenge trying to locate virtual COM ports in the Device Manager of your machine. The serial ports option can just be unavailable. The reason is that after a Windows 10 update, virtual COM port drivers may not load any-longer by default for devices of some types.
If ports COM & LPT are not shown in the Device Manager of your Windows 10 system, you can install a dedicated app, Virtual COM Port Driver, and solve this problem once and for all. This software is designed to create an unlimited number of virtual COM port pairs communicating with each other over a virtual null-modem connection.
All virtual serial interfaces created with the help of Virtual Serial Port Driver behave exactly like real ones, so you will have no problem finding and accessing them in the Device Manager of your machine.
In addition, the program offers a vast array of configurable options that can be especially useful for testing serial software and hardware.
For example, the utility lets two applications share data over virtual COM ports in such a manner that everything written by one program will immediately appear in the other one (connected to the other end of the virtual serial port pair).
Here’s how you can easily create virtual COM ports on a Windows 10 PC using Virtual Serial Port Driver:
- Download the software and install it on your machine.
- Launch Virtual Serial Port Driver and go to the “Manage ports” tab. There you can either enter some custom port names manually or select ports from the drop-down menu.
- Now, click the “Add Pair” button and this is it! You have virtual COM ports which appear in Serial Ports Explorer and the Device Manager of your system.
- In order to delete the pair, select it in the Serial Ports Explorer, open the “Manage port” tab, and hit “Delete pair”.
Now, Let's see where Windows 10 COM Port Driver software will be a really big help. You can use the software for a variety of purposes, including:
- Testing and debugging of serial applications based on null-modem connections;
- Testing and debugging of virtual COM port emulators such as GPS, fax, and so on.
- Testing and debugging of firmware or drivers for devices which are physically located far from your developer machine.
- Testing and debugging of applications for intercepting caching/proxying data transferred over the network, etc.
Pro version of Virtual Serial Port Driver
For those of you who are looking for a simple way to create not only virtual COM port pairs but also their bundles with various custom parameters, the app developers offer the Virtual Serial Port Driver PRO version. This edition is tailored for professional use by serial port software and hardware developers and testers.
The utility comes with a range of advanced features like:
- Splitting and joining serial data streams.
You can easily split a single real serial port into multiple virtual COM ones that will fully emulate the physical port. Also, you’ll be able to join multiple real port data streams into virtual one which will be directed to the required app or device.
- Creating bundles of real and virtual COM ports.
Virtual Serial Port Driver Pro makes it possible to create complex port bundles where multiple virtual and real serial ports can exchange the incoming data with all the other ports added to the bundle at a time.
- Automatic port switcher
Anytime your application needs to connect to a serial port, the switcher option will link it to a COM port being currently free. For this, you just create a bundle of virtual COM ports which will emulate a single real one. By communicating with one of the virtual ports, your app will, in fact, talk every time to the same real interface.
Windows 10 - virtual COM port mounting. The native method.
Alternatively to the third-party app, you may try the fix offered in Windows 10 OS:
- Go to the Device Manager and type “Device Manager” in the lower left corner of the screen. (See below)
- Find USB to Serial Converter Settings.
Plug a USB device into your PC. In the Device Manager list, expand the “Universal Serial Bus controllers” list and right click the “USB Serial Converter”. Now open “Properties”.
- Enable the VCP Driver loading
In the device “Properties”, open the “Advanced” tab and check whether the “Load VCP” option is enabled. Then, click OK.
- Replug your device
Unplug your USB device and connect it to your PC again. Now your operating system should be able to recognize the device, and Virtual COM Port Driver should be loaded.
Virtual Serial Port Driver
Version 9.0.567 (5th Aug, 2017) Release notes
Category: Serial Port Software