How to access USB device in Parallels Desktop
Parallels Desktop is a virtualization software that allows accessing applications, files, and inferior operating systems on your Mac. Plus, Parallels Desktop is able to work with local USB devices connected to the host computer. In this article we’ll tell you how to share Parallels USB device attached to your host machine or any remote computer and connect to it from your virtual machine.
How to create a direct connection between local USB devices and Parallels Desktop
To access USB in Parallels, follow these simple steps:
- Start your guest OS.
- Head to the main menu and click Devices → External Devices → USB (or another device). Now, when you reopen the same menu, you should see a tick next to the device you’ve chosen.
- That’s it! The device is now available for access from your Parallels Desktop, and is not visible on the host PC.
How to access remote USB peripherals from Parallels Desktop
As you can see, it’s no problem to access USB devices plugged into a host OS from Parallels virtual machine. But do you also know that Parallels Desktop can connect to USB devices inserted into any remote computer? The dedicated software, USB Network Gate, will make your Parallels guest OS supremely more useful by making it able to access USB devices located miles away. The software solution is a simple and convenient way to connect USB to Parallels over network.
To provide Parallels USB passthrough, you just need to:
- Install USB Network Gate on the server machine (the PC with a USB device attached).
- Share the device over network.
- Install the software on Parallels Desktop, start the app, and click ‘Connect’ next to the required USB device. This is it! Now, the shared USB peripheral is connected to your virtual machine and displayed in its Device Manager.
This way, with the help of USB Network Gate Parallels can connect to USB over Ethernet or any other network.
Versatile solution to forward USB to virtual environment
Whether you use Parallels, VMware, Citrix XenDesktop, VirtualBox, or Hyper-V virtualization software, USB Network Gate will help you redirect any remote USB peripheral to your guest operating system.
Think of the possibilities:
- The software lets forward a limitless number of USB devices over any network, including Wi-Fi, Ethernet, and the Internet;
- supports cross-platform connections between different operating systems (Windows, Mac, Linux);
- offers the traffic encryption option that guarantees security of your connections, and more.
With USB Network Gate you can not only provide Parallels remote USB access but also connect to your valuable USB devices over network from a wide range of other virtualization solutions.
USB Network Gate
Also available on macOS, Linux OS and Android , 5.62MB size
Version 8.0.1859 (4th Nov, 2017) Release notes
Category: Networking Software